playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Hardware that supports Ogg Vorbis

From: smc+playogg
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Hardware that supports Ogg Vorbis
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:20:30 -0400

> I'm guessing that this mailing list isn't real active? Do you know how
> active the Play-ogg campaign is? I'm just curious what the current
> activity level is and how everyone is working toward right now.

It's effectively dead. The FSF put up a page at "playfreedom.org" just about 2
years
ago that was supposedly going to be a followup/replacement campaign, but nothing
was ever done with it. They seem to be a lot more "anti-restriction" than
really being
"pro-freedom" as far as this goes. (I actually directly asked John Sullivan
about the playogg/playfreedom
campaigns at Northeast Linux Fest. The response was [in my own slightly-bitter
paraphrasing here]
more or less that they sort of want to come back to it someday but they're too
focussed on
yelling at Apple and Microsoft right now and aren't sure when they'll have time
for anything else.)

More to your original question - Ogg Vorbis support overall is actually pretty
widespread,
but abysmally unadvertised. Many devices that actually support it don't even
mention it
anywhere (e.g. lots of Android-based devices.  ALL Android devices support Ogg
Vorbis
audio for example, but a lot of them only mention mp3, aac, wma, etc. in their
specifications.)

I'm not sure about head unit support overall, though I know there was at least
one company
making them quite a few years ago so they're likely to be out there.
Personally, I'd prefer
to stick with an extremely basic unit with an auxiliary input, and just plug in
my phone or
other Vorbis (or Opus, now)-capable player, which I can then take with me
easily and use
when I leave the car.

As far as I know, pretty much every media-playing device made by Sandisk or
Samsung over the
last half-decade or so supports Ogg Vorbis, along with quite a few other
companies that
aren't Microsoft or Apple. (Apple MAY support Opus in future devices, since
Opus support
is "Mandatory to Implement" for the WebRTC standard. Microsoft PROBABLY
actually will eventually support it - they were part of the committee that
signed off on it. Microsoft does have some ongoing argument with WebRTC, but
the Opus codec doesn't seem to be part of that argument.)

(If you're interested, I had a "pro-free-media" episode at Hacker Public Radio
up last year, which
included some discussion about how widespread Ogg Vorbis support actually is
despite its low profile.
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1103 )