pupa-devel

Re: Ext2fs patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Ext2fs patch
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:18:52 +0100

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:26, M. Gerards wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't know about this. How about changing the bug address to
> bug-grub? I would like to see the bug reports so I don't have to run
> into reported bugs. I can also fix some bugs if I know about them.

It is okay, after moving PUPA into GRUB2. For now, don't change it.

> Weird.  I'm using Linux 2.4 and after removing the function it worked
> perfectly.

You should see the archive of bug-grub. The problem is that Linux does not
synchronize caches for partitions with caches for disks correctly. So if you
access a disk by opening the whole disk, it could produce a cache-incoherence
problem. That's why it is necessary to open partition devices only on Linux.
Because this problem is about caches, you cannot always reproduce it.

> The sector number is definitely wrong.

How?

> Yes, I completely wrote it from scratch. I have a book in which the
> internals of ext2 are discussed. I also used some free documentation:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/ext2-doc/ext2.html

I didn't know this! Thanks for this information.

> Are there any licensing problems with other parts of GRUB?

The file "stage1/stage1.S". AFAIK, only this file.

Okuji