pupa-devel

Re: Ext2fs patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Ext2fs patch
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:04:10 +0100

On Monday 27 October 2003 20:25, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Here is, as I have promised, the ext2fs patch.  This patch also
> changes the TODO and README files and fixes a bug in the partition
> handling.  Can you please have a look at how this bug was caused and
> why linux_find_partition was used?

Don't change the address of bug reports. pupa-devel is a members-only list, so
not all people can post messages.

Don't remove linux_find_partition. It is necessary, at least on 2.4 or older.
A comment should say the reason. If it doesn't work correctly, debug it
instead of getting rid of the whole function. Probably any bug related to the
partition handling should be a wrong calculation of sector numbers. So attach
gdb and take a look at which sectors PUPA will try to access.

If you don't implement triple indirects, use PUPA_ERR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED_YET
appropriately. PUPA should not fail silently.

BTW, did you write ext2.c from scratch, without stealing code really? I'm
asking this, because ext2 is poorly documented so it is difficult to
implement ext2fs without seeing other code.

Okuji