qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] gcov support appears to be broken - solved?

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] gcov support appears to be broken - solved?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 18:56:02 +0000

>> #./configure --enable-gcov
>> #make
>> #make check
>> #make coverage-report
>>
>> It seems that first three commands execute as expected. (For example,
>> there are plenty of files generated by "make check" that would've not
>> been generated if "enable-gcov" hadn't been chosen.) However, the
>> last command complains about some missing files related to FP

> So your failure mode is no report is generated at all? It's working for
> me here.

Alex, here is the thing:

Seeing that my gcovr is relatively old (2014) 3.2 version, I upgraded it from
git repo to the most recent 4.1 (actually, to a dev version, from the very tip
of the tree), and "make coverage-report" started generating coverage reports.
It did emit some error messages (totally different than previous), but still it
did not stop like it used to do with gcovr 3.2.

Perhaps you would want to add some gcov/gcovr minimal version info in our docs.
(or at least a statement "this was tested with such and such gcc, gcov and
gcovr", etc.?)

Coverage report looked fine at first glance, but it a kind of disappointed me
when I digged deeper into its content - for example, it shows very low coverage
for our FP code (softfloat), while, in fact, we know that "make check" contains
detailed tests on FP functionalities. But this is most likely a separate
problem of a very different nature, perhaps the issue of separate git repo for
FP tests (testfloat) that our FP tests use as a mid-layer.

I'll try how everything works with my test examples, and will let you know.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Aleksandar

Fond regards,
Aleksandar