qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is network backend netmap worth keeping?

From: Vincenzo Maffione
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is network backend netmap worth keeping?
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:27:41 +0200

Yes, indeed.
Netmap is actively maintained on FreeBSD, and QEMU is packaged on FreeBSD
with netmap support enabled.
Also keep in mind that, differently from Linux, the (current) tap driver on
FreeBSD does not support offloads (e.g. IFF_VNET_HDR, TUNSETVNETHDRSIZE and
so on). On the contrary, netmap (VALE) supports the same offloads as tap
does on Linux. This makes inter-VM networking with VALE more appealing on
FreeBSD.

Cheers,
  Vincenzo