qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is network backend netmap worth keeping?

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is network backend netmap worth keeping?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:32:56 +0200

On 8/8/19 1:52 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Giuseppe Lettieri <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear Markus,
>>
>> the netmap project is alive and well, if a bit understuffed. We have
>> moved to github:
>>
>> https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap
>>
>> We have users from FreeBSD, where it is part of the official kernel,
>> and Linux, both from Academia and industry.
>>
>> But you asked about the netmap backend in QEMU, in particular. When it
>> was merged, the decision was made to disable it by default because it
>> was not supported upstream in Linux. As Jason Wang says, this support
>> is even more unlikely now than it was then.
>>
>> The fact the the backend has to be explicitly enabled and built from
>> the sources has obviously cut down the number of potential
>> users. However, we still think it is useful and we have pending
>> updates for it. If it's causing problems in the workflow, I am willing
>> to help as much as I can.
>
> Could we make it a submodule, simililar to slirp and capstone?

Good idea, this would extend the coverage. Netmap users/developers are
probably best suited to do this.

>     --enable-netmap=system      use the system's netmap
>     --enable-netmap=git         use the git submodule
>     --enable-netmap             use system's, else git, else fail
>     --disable-netmap            disable netmap
>     default                     use system's, else git, else disable
>
> A fresh clone of https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap clocks in at
> 14MiB, which is between libslirp's 1.5MiB and capstone's 72MiB.

In which directory should we clone it? As /netmap directly?

Should we start using a 3rd-party/ subdirectory?

Similarly, what about the virglrenderer component?

Its repository is: https://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/virglrenderer.git