qemu-devel

Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 10:12:33 +0000

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 12:15, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<address@hidden> wrote:

> * Daniel P. Berrangé (address@hidden) wrote:
> > My main objection to 'contrib/' is actually the perceived notions
> > about what the contrib directory is for. When I see 'contrib/'
> > code in either QEMU, or other open source projects, my general
> > impression is that this is largely unsupported code which is just
> > there as it might be interesting to someone, and doesn't typically
> > get much ongoing dev attention.

> > virtiofsd is definitely different as it is intended to be a
> > fully production quality supported tool with active dev into
> > the future IIUC.
> >
> > IOW, if we did decide we want it in QEMU, then instead of
> > '$GIT/contrib/virtiofsd', I'd prefer to see '$GIT/virtiofsd'.
>
> I'm not sure it deserves a new top level for such a specific tool.

Maybe, but I think I agree with Daniel that 'contrib/' is
probably not the right place for it if it's something that
we care about supporting. 'contrib' to me is "bucket of stuff
that we didn't really feel strongly we wanted to reject but
which is probably random special-cases or other obscure
stuff, don't bother looking in here and don't assume it's
going to work either".

thanks
-- PMM