qemu-devel

Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 13:56:22 +0100

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 12:15, Dr. David Alan Gilbert
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> * Daniel P. Berrangé (address@hidden) wrote:
>> > My main objection to 'contrib/' is actually the perceived notions
>> > about what the contrib directory is for. When I see 'contrib/'
>> > code in either QEMU, or other open source projects, my general
>> > impression is that this is largely unsupported code which is just
>> > there as it might be interesting to someone, and doesn't typically
>> > get much ongoing dev attention.
>
>> > virtiofsd is definitely different as it is intended to be a
>> > fully production quality supported tool with active dev into
>> > the future IIUC.
>> >
>> > IOW, if we did decide we want it in QEMU, then instead of
>> > '$GIT/contrib/virtiofsd', I'd prefer to see '$GIT/virtiofsd'.
>>
>> I'm not sure it deserves a new top level for such a specific tool.
>
> Maybe, but I think I agree with Daniel that 'contrib/' is
> probably not the right place for it if it's something that
> we care about supporting. 'contrib' to me is "bucket of stuff
> that we didn't really feel strongly we wanted to reject but
> which is probably random special-cases or other obscure
> stuff, don't bother looking in here and don't assume it's
> going to work either".

Agree.

We have source for several separate programs in the root directory
already: qemu-bridge-helper, qemu-edid, qemu-img, qemu-io, qemu-nbd,
qemu-keymap, qemu-seccomp, qemu-ga.  Just a .c file when that suffixes,
else a subdirectory, except for qemu-io, which is two .c files in the
root, plus include/qemu-io.h.  Putting virtiofsd/ there follows
qemu-ga's precedence.

There's also precedence for putting such programs into their subsystem's
sub-directory: fsdev/virtfs-proxy-helper, scsi/pr-manager-helper.