qemu-devel

Re: Should we apply for GitLab's open source program?

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: Should we apply for GitLab's open source program?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:39:55 -0700

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 04:35:34PM +0100, Alex Bennée wrote:
>> Given our growing reliance on GitLab and the recent announcement about
>> free tier minutes:
>>
>>   https://about.gitlab.com/pricing/faq-consumption-cicd/
>>
>> is it time we officially apply for GitLab's Open Source Program:
>>
>>   https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/program/

Sorry for my late response on this thread.  Since GitLab is requiring that
organizations be non-profits as part of this program, Conservancy will need
to coordinate your application with you as we're the parent non-profit for
this purpose.

Given my late reply, you may already be coordinating with my colleague Brett
about this, but I'll check in with him tomorrow to verify.

One thing to note is that my understanding is that most of what you're
getting access to through this program is proprietary software features that
GitLab offers as add-ons.  I really encourage you as a project not enable
such features, as ultimately you'll probably start to rely on them, and then
you'll be effectively relying on proprietary software infrastructure to
develop your project.

I'm also curious: is there something you need now from the GitLab software
that self-hosting might improve?
--
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/him
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy