qemu-devel

Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:24:04 +0200

On 30/09/2021 16.28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 3:08 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,
QEMU downloads are currently hosted on qemu.org's Apache web server.
Paolo and I were discussing ways to reduce qemu.org network traffic to
save money and eventually turn off the qemu.org server since there is no
full-time sysadmin for it. I'd like to discuss moving QEMU downloads to
GitLab Releases.

Daniel Berrange posted this in another discussion:

"gitlab releases have a per-file size limit that is somewhere on the
order of 10 MB IIRC. Our release tarballs are 100+ MB, so I don't
believe that's going to be viable.

The gitlab package registry doesn't directly support plain file
downloads afaik, and is also size limited to 50 MB per package

Maybe we should also discuss again whether we could decrease the size of the release tarballs. Someone recently mentioned that we could e.g. remove the edk2 sources from the tarballs - edk2 is licensed under a BSD-style license, so we are not forced to ship its sources in our tarballs (unlike the other firmwares which are licensed under GPL).

Or maybe we could also finally move the firmware images completely into a separate tarball instead?

 Thomas