qemu-devel

Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Moving QEMU downloads to GitLab Releases?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:34:16 +0200

  Hi,

> Maybe we should also discuss again whether we could decrease the size of the
> release tarballs. Someone recently mentioned that we could e.g. remove the
> edk2 sources from the tarballs - edk2 is licensed under a BSD-style license,
> so we are not forced to ship its sources in our tarballs (unlike the other
> firmwares which are licensed under GPL).
>
> Or maybe we could also finally move the firmware images completely into a
> separate tarball instead?

The idea of a separate qemu-firmware repo is floating around for a
while already but never really took off.

Now with hosting moved to gitlab we should be able to run automated
firmware binary builds in CI and purge all firmware from the qemu git
repo (both submodules and binaries) and add a script fetching those
from gitlab instead.

take care,
  Gerd