qemu-discuss

Re: Specifying ALSA subdevice

From: Volker Rümelin
Subject: Re: Specifying ALSA subdevice
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 22:01:17 +0200

This was asked already a couple of years ago but no solution was found.

I would like to use an ALSA loopback device for my virtual machine. With the now
deprecated soundhw/env parameter syntax everything worked. I'm specifying "-device
intel-hda -device hda-duplex " which are fine I guess, but the -audiodev parameter
is causing trouble:

        -audiodev
alsa,id=snd0,out.dev='hw:Loopback,0,4',in.dev='hw:Loopback,1,5'

results in the following error: Invalid parameter '0'

This is logical as comma is the parameter separator. But apparently it cannot
be escaped in any way?

Use a double ,, to pass a single , to alsa-lib. In your case this is

-audiodev alsa,id=snd0,out.dev=hw:Loopback,,0,,4,in.dev=hw:Loopback,,1,,5

With best regards,
Volker