Version Woes

From: Brian Bouterse
Subject: Version Woes
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:25:37 -0400

I use rdiff-backup and love it, but I'm challenged by what I think is a
version mismatch issue.

My central rdiff-backup server has version 1.9.1b0. Now I need to backup a
Debian system and this system and even the latest (
https://packages.debian.org/buster/rdiff-backup ) uses 1.2.8-7.

When I attempt to run the test command:   `rdiff-backup --test-server
example.com::/ignore` I get the error:

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

    ssh -C example.com rdiff-backup --server

Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.9.1b0).

When I do manually run `ssh -C example.com
<address@hidden> rdiff-backup --server` it does launch
the server and manual ssh and run rdiff-backup does show it's on the path.
So I've concluded I have a version mismatch.

Do you agree that is my issue?

So I went to manually install it, but the downloads page takes me to
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/releases which shows a 10 year
gap and there isn't a version < 2.0 that I can see there.

How do I install a version like 1.9.1b0 on Debian?

Thank you!
Brian

--
Brian Bouterse