Re: Version Woes

From: Brian Bouterse
Subject: Re: Version Woes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 00:06:21 -0400

Thanks Frank and Patrik. I did get my Debian system upgraded using the pypi
installation method and my backup worked!

@Patrik your notes helped me, but I did things slightly differently. This
was on Debian stretch. I really should upgrade to Buster but it's a remote
machine and ... COVID.

Also the curl and run the python script to install pip method is pretty
official, but it's kind of scary. Instead I used the pip3 package with:
sudo apt install python3-pip
After that I could run `pip3 freeze` for example, to confirm it works

Instead of virtualenv I used venv which for python3 I believe is preferred
(I think virtualenv is deprecated). To get that installed and the venv
created I did this:
sudo apt-get install python3-venv
sudo python3 -m venv /opt/rdiff-backup2

I did need apt install libacl1-dev, but on my system I also needed
librsync-dev so I installed those along with Python3 dev using
sudo apt install python3-dev libacl1-dev librsync-dev
Without librsync-dev rdiff-backup wouldn't compile, and without
libacl1-dev, pylibacl wouldn't compile.

At that point this command did work:
sudo /opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install rdiff-backup pyxattr pylibacl but
it couldn't build the wheel, it gave this error:

```
sudo /opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install rdiff-backup
Collecting rdiff-backup
  Using cached
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/af/61/4edbe10fbee6e2490207314ac9c036e7135784a328629079860bfecc29ea/rdiff-backup-2.0.0.tar.gz
Building wheels for collected packages: rdiff-backup
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for rdiff-backup ... error
  Complete output from command /opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/python3 -u -c "import
setuptools,
tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-gex_7lx1/rdiff-backup/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize,
'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n',
'\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" bdist_wheel -d
/tmp/tmpz1_uun1spip-wheel- --python-tag cp35:
  usage: -c [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
     or: -c --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
     or: -c --help-commands
     or: -c cmd --help

  error: invalid command 'bdist_wheel'

  Failed building wheel for rdiff-backup
  Running setup.py clean for rdiff-backup
Failed to build rdiff-backup
Installing collected packages: rdiff-backup
  Running setup.py install for rdiff-backup ... done
Successfully installed rdiff-backup-2.0.0
```

That was resolved with `/opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install wheel`. After
that the following command completed with no errors:

```
sudo /opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install rdiff-backup pyxattr pylibacl
Collecting rdiff-backup
  Using cached
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/af/61/4edbe10fbee6e2490207314ac9c036e7135784a328629079860bfecc29ea/rdiff-backup-2.0.0.tar.gz
Collecting pyxattr
  Using cached
https://www.piwheels.org/simple/pyxattr/pyxattr-0.7.1-cp35-cp35m-linux_armv7l.whl
Collecting pylibacl
  Using cached
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/b5/46/9438665705fbd76015ee2cdda2c136364504272de08124b73ffb3f5cf1a5/pylibacl-0.5.4.tar.gz
Building wheels for collected packages: rdiff-backup, pylibacl
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for rdiff-backup ... done
  Stored in directory:
/root/.cache/pip/wheels/4d/71/ee/13c25188b5639e34ad22a811fabe1cfcfeac56ba334d120729
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for pylibacl ... done
  Stored in directory:
/root/.cache/pip/wheels/66/4e/0d/804daa57f0f46ce432e9d050ed0ec8521ce2113c00174104c8
Successfully built rdiff-backup pylibacl
Installing collected packages: rdiff-backup, pyxattr, pylibacl
Successfully installed pylibacl-0.5.4 pyxattr-0.7.1 rdiff-backup-2.0.0
```

Your symlink instructions to put it onto my path worked and my local 1.9.0
client (Fedora) successfully backed up my pypi based Debian install (2.0.0).

Do you want any of this sent to you as a PR to your guide? Or maybe the
centos instructions too? What repo and branch is the best to open the PR
against? Also what version formally because the Python3 version?

Thanks again!
Brian

--
Brian Bouterse