reproduce-devel

[task #16374] Using LICENSE instead of COPYING

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16374] Using LICENSE instead of COPYING
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:22:47 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Mon 05 Jun 2023 05:22:45 PM BST By: Mohammad Akhlaghi <makhlaghi>
[This task was originally defined [1] in Gitlab as a merge request by Juan
Julián Merelo Guervós.]

The fact that "A license is much more than copying rights, and the usual best
practice is to call it that way", is a good point! The main reason we done
this was to follow the GNU Coding Standards and the GNU guide on using GNU
license [2].

So I just sent a query to 'bug-standards@gnu.org' inquiring about the usage of
'LICENSE' instead of 'COPYING' to get their feedback. It should show up on
their mailing list archives after they approve it (for "2023-06").

Until they answer, please feel free to share your thoughts about the issue
here.

[1] https://gitlab.com/maneage/project/-/merge_requests/5
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-standards/