reproduce-devel

[task #16374] Using LICENSE instead of COPYING

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16374] Using LICENSE instead of COPYING
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 14:42:24 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #16374 (project reproduce):

Here is a more complete reply from Bruno Haible:

There are many software licenses. Some for Free Software, some for
proprietary software (e.g. [1]). All of them can be stored in a file named
"LICENSE".

What sets the Free Software licenses apart from the rest, is that they
allow copying (and much more — but copying is the first freedom).

When we call the file 'COPYING', we are emphasizing that our software is
Free Software. It's worth doing that, no?

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16374>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/