Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Problems with email and debbugs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Problems with email and debbugs?
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 12:34:29 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Looks like email delivery stopped at fencepost.  And debbugs takes a
> very long time to return results of a query.
>
> Another DDoS attack on GNU servers?

I shouldn't be responding to this as I don't know first hand
information but I didn't see other responses so will contribute what I
know.

I see that Andrew restarted Apache on debbugs this morning and that
seems to have gotten things going.  The main problem may have been
Apache getting snarled up there.  Don't know.  Seems likely to be the
main problem today though.

I peeked in at the Apache logs on debbugs and while it does seem to
have some small number of bots crawling the site inappropriately it
did not seem to be overwhelmed by them.  I monkey tested the web
interface and though it wasn't really fast it also did respond in not
too long of a time.  I'll queue up a todo for me to see if I can block
some of the inappropriate bots on debbugs but that doesn't seem urgent
as it seems to be handling the load of them okay.

I didn't see any mail waiting in the mailq on debbugs.  The main
problem I see in the mail logs is a problem with the SpamAssassin
Bayes due to a permission error.  Therefore the Bayes subsystem is
probably not working for SpamAssassin on incoming mail there.

I do not know Exim very well but I didn't see any obvious errors
happening.  But me not seeing errors in exim is far from any statement
of happiness there!  When it comes to Exim and myself we are pretty
much an estranged couple.

I happen to have my fingers poked into these things and so here I am.
But for all things debbugs I recommend using the address@hidden
mailing list as a good place to reach Glenn and the other volunteers
looking after the debbugs system.

Just as background information there is a slow process of trying to
upgrade the debbugs system.  It has stalled a little bit of late but
will get back going again at some point.

Hope that helps,
Bob