security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: Nomen Nescio
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 15:17:51 +0100 (CET)

Alfred M. Szmidt said:

>    That is lack of police at the GNU project.
>
> That is a good thing.

It's only a good thing when police are not needed.

I also think Jean Louis was using "police" loosely, perhaps to also
mean lack of /legislators/ using feedback to make adjustments when
shit happens.  No one expected a GNU project to conduct itself in such
a freedom-hostile manner, so the lack of legal framework to handle
this is understandable.

>    Downloading from Sourceforege like for example CLISP, GNU Common
>    Lisp, or downloading through Cloudfare, and other providers
>    (Github), is not reasonable for freedom loving users.
>
> You say that it is not reasonable, but not explaining why.

In addition to Jean Louis' response, see also the comprehensive list
of compromised freedoms here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-01/msg00066.html

>    And I just suppose that GNU and FSF would not block Tor users,
>    when software is served from their servers.
>
> Neither the GNU project nor the FSF is blocking Tor users.

This looks like an attempt at a semantic argument.  But IMO it fails
as such because the GNU Radio project is *part of* the GNU project.
When a part of the GNU project blocks Tor users, the project as a
whole (if it must be viewed as a whole) therefore blocks Tor users.

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so the "From:" address will be unusable.