security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 21:41:20 +0100

Дана четвртак, 02. март 2017. у 22.50.02 CET, Jean Louis написа:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 02:00:36PM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> >    It is impossible to access full documentation on that page by using
> >    lynx. Have you tried using links?
> >
> > I just accessed the link from lynx. so where where you get that it is
> > "impossible" I have no idea.
> >
> >    I mean, it is Hypertext Markup Language, and all links are
> >    "javascript:void(0)"
> >
> > That is blatantly false.
>
> Sorry, it is not "blatantly false", review the links:
>
>  All Classes Namespaces Files Functions Variables Typedefs
>  Enumerations Enumerator Friends Macros Modules Pages
>
> As none of the above are accessible.

Had you tried to access that web page using a normal graphical browser (or
even any browser more advanced than curl or wget), you would have noticed that
those links are part of the dropbox which itself is part of the search field.

There is absolutely no way to make that functionality without javascript,
unless you want it to look really ugly, take up half the page and redirect to
the new page for search results instead of being unintrusive in the corner of
the screen and having all the keyword search functionality on the same page.

Also, that is not website design, that is a static web page generated by
doxygen. The searchbox is the standard doxygen's searchbox which implements
documentation search in javascript to avoid having to have a search engine on
the server. So, if you don't like that searchbox, go to doxygen.org and tell
them. Or just learn to live with the fact that lynx is not the most advanced
web browser these days and that people will want to use some functionality not
supported by it.

I've just generated some documentation to recheck if the same exact searchbox
comes with standard doxygen and it does. Also, I've been able to open it with
links and lynx and the documentation is perfectly readable (as is the
gnuradio's one). Of course, the search doesn't work, but it is unreasonable to
expect an archaic text browser to support full extent of modern HTML (with CSS
and JS) just as it is unreasonable to expect people to optimize their web
pages for lynx and never use anything not supported by it.

--
GPG fingerprint: 9AFC0A4BD2CEF3D22CF6108196577BD3C105EDA4
Please read if you don't use GPG: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/