security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 11:48:48 -0500

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 15:37:58 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> It's also immediately evident that you're not understanding the
> problem I've described when you start with "Your freedoms apply..."
> The word /apply/ signals that you think the discussion is over
> freedoms that are guaranteed in some way (e.g. by a license).

I've neither said nor implied anything legal.

Your adversarial tone is not leading to anything constructive.  We have
clarified your concerns ad nauseam.  You are redefining principles
either just for the sake of argument, or out of genuine
misunderstanding, and refuse to accept any authority on the matter.  You
don't have to agree, but you don't get to mold long-standing principles
to your liking.

I'm not sure where you have learned about free software and its
principles, but it must not be the FSF or GNU, because if it were, you
would have easily gotten clarification by spending much less time
reading FSF/GNU articles than you have spent arguing on these
lists.  You would have accepted clarification from the man who created
the free software definition and fights for its principles every day of
his life,  And if it's not from either the FSF or GNU---from which these
principles originated---then I don't know how we can help; anything we
say is falling on deaf ears.

If rms wishes to address any further issues, he'll bring it up within
GNU; your argument has been made long ago.  Conversation has already
resulted in a request to the sysadmins to correct the issue with Tor on
ftp.gnu.org.  It's lead to a discussion on CDNs and issues surrounding
hosting software on GNU servers.  You've gotten the attention of the GNU
Project.  Please don't mute that with unreconcilable disagreements.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer