silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Please communicate with mentors properly

From: Nithin Saji
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Please communicate with mentors properly
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:04:39 +0530

Hello,

>I observed today that you  added normalizer to silpa-common module, I
>was surprised you didn't ask or check if there is already a module for
>this file.

I added the normalizer.py  to silpa-common  since it was present in the utils folder of old silpa and I thought it was a general purpose script different from Normalizer module  as Normalizer modules description says it to be specifically for Malayalam. After I checked the code it seems that  normalize.py does the same thing as the Normalizer module. I realize that I should have given more attention and discussed with you guys about it. I will be more careful from now on.  .

>Similarly I noticed you managed to create a new guesslang module when
>I had already ported and uploaded guesslanguage module to pypi of
>course it was not forked under Project-SILPA but you could have asked
>us over mail IRC is not best for communication always. Now either I
>need to drop entire repo and pypi package and repackage your work or
>merge your work back into my repo (which is pain).

As for the  guesslanguage module, I wasn't aware that it was already ported as I assumed all the ported modules would have their corresponding templates present in the templates folder of silpa-flask app.
 It will be easier if I drop my guesslang module and add the template folder to your repo.

Now the silpa-common also contains the langdetect module which is  also available in the guess-language module. What should be done about this ?

I am aware that all these issues were caused by me making assumptions without explicitly asking for them.I will try to avoid it from now on.

And about reverting changes, should I make a new commit on the top to revert the changes made ?

Nithin