silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Please communicate with mentors properly

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Please communicate with mentors properly
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:33:05 +0530

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Nithin Saji <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>I observed today that you  added normalizer to silpa-common module, I
>>was surprised you didn't ask or check if there is already a module for
>>this file.
>
> I added the normalizer.py  to silpa-common  since it was present in the
> utils folder of old silpa and I thought it was a general purpose script
> different from Normalizer module  as Normalizer modules description says it
> to be specifically for Malayalam. After I checked the code it seems that
> normalize.py does the same thing as the Normalizer module. I realize that I
> should have given more attention and discussed with you guys about it. I
> will be more careful from now on.  .

OK no problems, but I just wanted to tell you importance of
communication in FLOSS communities

>>Similarly I noticed you managed to create a new guesslang module when
>>I had already ported and uploaded guesslanguage module to pypi of
>>course it was not forked under Project-SILPA but you could have asked
>>us over mail IRC is not best for communication always. Now either I
>>need to drop entire repo and pypi package and repackage your work or
>>merge your work back into my repo (which is pain).
>
> As for the  guesslanguage module, I wasn't aware that it was already ported
> as I assumed all the ported modules would have their corresponding templates
> present in the templates folder of silpa-flask app.
>  It will be easier if I drop my guesslang module and add the template folder
> to your repo.

Let me see if I can force merge your changes on top of my repository
if not then we will see how we will go

> Now the silpa-common also contains the langdetect module which is  also
> available in the guess-language module. What should be done about this ?

Interesting let me have a look, If I'm right both should not be same
but again I've not checked them properly.

> I am aware that all these issues were caused by me making assumptions
> without explicitly asking for them.I will try to avoid it from now on.

Good :-)

> And about reverting changes, should I make a new commit on the top to revert
> the changes made ?

Just use git revert <commit-hash>

Best Regards
--