silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] GSoC Silpa module porting:flask webfonts extension

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] GSoC Silpa module porting:flask webfonts extension
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 09:29:51 +0530

Hi Nitin,

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Nithin Saji <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> I had a discussion with my mentors about converting silpas webfonts module
> into a flask extension.I am currently working on it and these are the
> proposed features.
>
> 1, serving font files
> 2. generate font-face css for embedding the webfonts (like google webfonts)
> 3. An interface for displaying fonts of multiple languages.
>
> a prototype with 1,2 has been made https://github.com/diadara/flask-webfonts

Interesting. I've some suggestions though is it possible to configure
font location on system rather than shipping it with extension?
Shipping it with extension means you need to consider to document
license of all fonts and we might have some problems there. We already
discussed about allowing font location to be configurable is the
feature already in? If not I would love to see that implemented and
strip of fonts directory entirely.

Most of the fonts in there are having woff and eot counterparts which
upstream doesn't ship they were converted by us specifically for
webfont support but I think we can bundle these fonts and provide as
separate tarball.

@Santhosh please share your thoughts since you also told you have some
fonts from mediawiki which you would like to be provided as webfonts.

> I have made an interface for the extension but it requires the user to type
> in the text to display the preview.This is not very user friendly and it
> would be better if there was some placeholder text for multiple languages.

Can you provide link to your openshift instance of silpa with webfonts
plugin  in action?. Also yes we need some text to be displayed there.

> In what way should I go about this ?
>  text files for different languages or something like a lorem ipsum
> generator module for indic languages with an api  similar to this
> http://generator.lorem-ipsum.info/

If I'm right this is random text generated by service right? We can
have similar module part of silpa ;-).. But for now I suggest use some
static texts and allow user to modify it if he wants.

Best Regards
--

Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info