sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] new server, looking to gossip

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] new server, looking to gossip
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:04:25 -0400

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 03:14:59PM -0400, Seth Hardy wrote:

> > > sks.aculei.net, standard ports. anyone interested in gossip with me?
> >
> > skylane.kjsl.com 21370, ready when the membership file is next reloaded.
>
> added you on my side.

I had to temporarily remove you on my side because...

> > BTW, which keydump did you use?
>
> i don't remember exactly where i got it. i remember looking for a
> keydump site and finding a link to one (i believe) off of the wiki.

that keydump is too old and is causing a lot of load for your gossip
peers:

                       SKS OpenPGP Keyserver statistics
                       Taken at 2004-07-29 03:27:20 EST

   Hostname:    caina.aculei.net

   Total number of keys: 1966692

   Time       New Keys Updated Keys
   2004-07-29 3707     2392

   Time       New Keys Updated Keys
   2004-07-29 01 1473     926
   2004-07-29 00 2234     1466

I recommend grabbing the telering.at _SKS_ keydump from Sunday
and doing a "sks merge keydump-*.pgp" instead of pounding your
gossip peers.  You're about 70,000 keys behind and will wind
up grabbing another 20,000 or more keys that are different
between pks and SKS.  You're also advertising and serving those
old keys to my (test) SKS server as well as requesting new copies,
which doubles the traffic.  :(

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/