sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 20:44:23 +0200

On 07.05.2012 19:49, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 06.05.2012 01:01, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I've been playing around with some thoughts on how to improve the
>>  calculation of DNS Service Record (SRV) weights lately[0]. I
>> would, however, like to make use of the experience of others in
>> continuing this process.
>

> I have then implemented[1, 2] a working prototype of an updated
> version of [0] taking into account response-times as measured from
> 3 different locations in Europe (I welcome more, if anyone is up
> for running a measuring client[3, 4]).

Woops, seems I was a bit too quick there. Fixed a bug[0] as the pow()
function didn't contain the full expression.

But now I got another fun result where, with a responsetime of
    [keyserver.rainydayz.org] => 1.6733216892119

The SRV weight become
    [keyserver.rainydayz.org] => 431604

As the 2-pass R distribution is
Array
(
    [stddev] => 1.3050507831397
    [var] => 1.7031575465735
    [mean] => 4.2681999895094
    [count] => 76
)

Hence

R       1.673321689
mu      4.26819999
sigma   1.305050783

=H19/((H20-(H21-2*H22))^2)
R_weight        431,503

Granted this server should have a high weight for that, but not THAT
high.

I can probably counter this by adjusting \phi (the error value for
servers that are not responding properly during the measurement run,
as that is skewing the results rightmost)

[0] http://code.google.com/p/sks-keyservers-pool/source/detail?r=111
- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/