sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights

From: Gabor Kiss
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 12:55:58 +0200 (CEST)

> > these times. Additionally local keyserver operators may bias it by
> > adding advertising a number via TXT records of their key server.
> > Some similar possibility is required beacause they know better the
> > actual local network and HW resource policy/status. E.g.
> > keys.niif.hu.       3600 TXT        "SKS Pool weight factor=30%" where the
> > allowed range is 0-150 percent.
> >

> Ideally this could be used, but it could also open up a can of worms
> if a server admin is operating in bad faith and want to steer traffic
> in his direction for whatever reason. I'll make a note of the suggestion.

It is entirely up to you if you accept these suggestions
via DNS records. :-) You may have different strategies:
- accepting 0 (="drop my server from the pool") but nothing else
- accepting range 0-100% (operator may decrease only the traffic)
- accepting some amplification requests (>100 value) but from
  selected operators only
- etc.
In case of DNS is operated by different and hostile people some
authenticating mechanism is also imagineable in the far future...

I'm happy to create tons of such ideas. :)))

Cheers

Gabor