sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 01:01:31 +0200

Hi,

I've been playing around with some thoughts on how to improve the
calculation of DNS Service Record (SRV) weights lately[0]. I would,
however, like to make use of the experience of others in continuing
this process.

The SRV records are currently used for the sub-pools eu.pool and
na.pool. Before implementing a new approach with a higher degree of
complexity, that require more effort to implement, I'd appreciate
feedback on the current implementation. Are the sub-pools being
actively used? are they performing as it should? Or could it be
modified in a simpler way and achieve the same real-world benefits?

Another obvious question is the factors to consider when calculating
these weights. Are there other factors than I've already proposed for
a possible new implementation that should be considered? And does it
make sense to adjust the weights in favor of Reverse Proxy enabled
servers?

Please note that [0] is still at a very preliminary stage.

[0] http://kfwebs.com/sks-keyservers-SRV.pdf

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/