sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV Weights

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV Weights
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 22:28:00 +0200

Dear all,

I have today pushed changes to my production server that affects the
keyserver pools
 * eu.pool.sks-keyservers.net (Europe)
 * na.pool.sks-keyservers.net (North America)
 * oc.pool.sks-keyservers.net (Oceania) *

The changes are related to calculation of DNS Service Records (SRV)
weights, and explained in more detail at [0].

The servers included in the various geographical pools are marked as
green in the status page[1], and by hovering over such entries, the
estimated traffic distribution is shown as a percentage (server weight
/ total pool weight).

This should hopefully increase the user experience (by using the
geographical pools). More measuring clients for the various pools will
be added, further optimizing the results of each of the respective pools.

[0] http://kfwebs.com/sks-keyservers-SRV.pdf
[1] http://sks-keyservers.net/status/

* NB: The Oceania pool is currently very experimental. It is basing
its calculations from a single point of measurement, and too much of
the traffic is directed at a single server. I'm looking for more
measuring clients to stabilize this, but I am, however, including it
for completeness already.

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/