sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:38:18 -0400

On 06/24/2012 03:20 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> As of *7. July 2012* I intend to change the minimum version for
> qualification in the pool to 1.1.2, which would currently mean that
> the number of servers in the pool will be 33 (although I expect more
> servers to be upgrade by this time, one of the reasons being that
> 1.1.3 is now available in the Debian repository).

1.1.3 is in debian unstable (sid).

Being in the unstable repository isn't the same as being in the stable
repo (squeeze), as most reasonable server administrators run stable, not
unstable on their systems.

Rather than expecting keyserver operators to run debian unstable, a
reasonable approach is to get it into squeeze-backports. (see
http://backports.debian,org/ for details about how debian backports work)

I'm pursuing this right now, and hope to have a backported package
tested and available in squeeze-backports in about a week.  When it
happens, i'll write a note to this list explaining how operators of
servers running debian stable can do a relatively easy upgrade without
switching distributions.

Thanks as always for maintaining the pool, Kristian.  I hope we can pull
this transition off cleanly without reducing the size of the pool too much.

        --dkg