sks-devel

[Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver pools at risk

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] spodhuis keyserver pools at risk
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 15:53:05 -0500

I don't think anyone's using the keyserver pools I run, since they've
always been "experimental"; AFAIK, only Kristian has ever really looked
at them.

I finally got sufficiently fed up with the state of the Python I had for
the stats daemon (WSGI app), the memory usage, the performance, etc, and
got around to rewriting to app as a daemon in Golang.  This has
reclaimed about 1/2GB of RAM.  *sigh*

It's not complete; folks looking at http://sks.spodhuis.org/sks-peers
will see a couple of dummied-out columns, etc.  It's significantly more
responsive.

Biggest difference is that the country/region-based DNS pools have
disappeared.  Temporary.  But depending on when I next feel like
touching this, that might be a "6 hours temporary" or a "2 years
temporary".  If anyone actually finds the zones useful for
testing/interop/whatever, let me know and I'll get that country-lookup
functionality put in too.

Oh, and since it's a new code-base, I haven't wrapped it in a keep-alive
daemon: if it dies, I want to find out the hard way and be forced to
investigate.  The DNS will, of course, continue unchanging if that
happens.

Regards,
-Phil