sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS logging to syslog using 1.1.6-2~bpo8+1 from debian-p

From: John Zaitseff
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS logging to syslog using 1.1.6-2~bpo8+1 from debian-packports
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 13:27:52 +1100

Hi, Pete et al.,

> I just setup a fresh sks installation using version 1.1.6-2~bpo8+1
> from debian-backports. The server is running Debian Jessie.
>
> By default, all the logs (e.g. what normally would go into db.log and
> recon.log) end up in /var/log/syslog, which is not expected or
> desired.
>
> My previous installation, running 1.1.5 on Ubuntu 14.04, sent those
> logs to /var/log/sks/db.log and /var/log/sks/recon.log.

This stumped me for a while as well, until I looked into it rather
more carefully.  The issue is that the new Debian package uses
systemd(8) instead of the tradition /etc/init.d scripts, and the
config files for systemd specify all output goes to syslog.

To fix this, create two files, both called override.conf, one in the
/etc/systemd/system/sks.service.d directory, the other in the
/etc/systemd/system/sks-recon.service.d directory.

I'm not sure whether this mailing list allows attachments, so here
are the contents of those files:

====
# /etc/systemd/system/sks-recon.service.d/override.conf
# [JNZ] Modified 19-Nov-2016 for keyserver.zap.org.au

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sks recon
====

====
# /etc/systemd/system/sks.service.d/override.conf
# [JNZ] Modified 19-Nov-2016 for keyserver.zap.org.au

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sks db
====

Restart sks ("systemctl restart sks-recon.service && systemctl
restart sks.service", all on one line) and you should be good to go.

You could overwrite files in /lib/systemd/system, but they will be
overwritten on the next package upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Yours truly,

John Zaitseff

--
John Zaitseff                    ,--_|\    The ZAP Group
Phone:  +61 2 9643 7737         /      \   Sydney, Australia