sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS logging to syslog using 1.1.6-2~bpo8+1 from debian-p

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS logging to syslog using 1.1.6-2~bpo8+1 from debian-packports
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 11:54:49 +0100

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 3:27 AM, John Zaitseff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Pete et al.,

Hi John,

> This stumped me for a while as well, until I looked into it rather
> more carefully.  The issue is that the new Debian package uses
> systemd(8) instead of the tradition /etc/init.d scripts, and the
> config files for systemd specify all output goes to syslog.

Indeed, this is the case!

> To fix this, create two files, both called override.conf, one in the
> /etc/systemd/system/sks.service.d directory, the other in the
> /etc/systemd/system/sks-recon.service.d directory.

This got me about 95% of the way there, but it turns out that the
version of systemd used by Debian Jessie (currently stable) doesn't
support "stubs" according to the answer at
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/692732/how-to-reproduce-systemctl-edit-behavior-in-ubuntu-lts>,
so we can't just include the parts that we want to change (the
ExecStart line), but instead need to include the whole file.

Thus, I simply copied the sks.service and sks-recon.service files from
/lib/systemd/system/ to /etc/systemd/system/ (from where systemd
preferentially loads files) and removed "-stdoutlog" from the
ExecStart line, ran "systemctl daemon-reload" to reload the config
files, and ran "systemctl sks restart" and "systemctl sks-recon
restart" and all worked perfectly. The logs are being correctly
written.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction and for
helping me solve this mystery.

Cheers!
-Pete

--