Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:09:44 +0100

2010/3/24 Sylvan Heuser <address@hidden>
As I see it, we have two approaches between we must decide.

The pure P2P approach:
Pro:
- Everyone has true full control over their data
- No logs on any server that could be used against you
Con:
- Apart from caching (which would generate new problems), when the
machine or connection (This also applies for SheevaPlugs) of a user is
down, the profile of this user will also be inaccessible.

The network of independent servers with small user groups approach:
Pro:
- No cached versions of your data in the net, as it is only stored on
your server
Con:
- You don't have true full control over your data, you need to trust the
owner/operator of your server
- It is nothing really new, just a mild form of centralization.

Please expand and modify this list. If it gets too long/we can't decide,
it may be a candidate for a wiki page (or similar), wouldn't it?

Are the two models mutually exclusive?  I some PHP systems provide a multi user version and single user version e.g. wordpress / wordpress MU.  Getting things to a desktop app my mean a some kind of deskop/localhost branch, but in theory would it not be possible to combine the goodness of both scenarios?

--
S.