Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:53:46 +0100

My 0.0149948 €:

Data by itself is not covered by copyright (or droit d'autheur), but
collections of data (e.g. databases) are. e.g. if someone shares a vCard
with you, you can safely modify it in your own collection and/or
redistribute it.

Concerning the P2P vs. server approach. I think it should work both ways.
Personally, I'd prefer small servers or even personal servers like e.g. the
aforementioned Guru/Sheeva Plug, but I see no problem running a daemon on
either a dedicated server or a desktop/laptop enhanced with a P2P network.

But in any case I think GPG could be used not only for encryption, but — IMO
equally important — as a signature for assuring the data originated from the
person who owns the GPG key. This way even if the data was distributed via
P2P, you could make sure who it came from and whether it was modified (and
by who).

If GPG causes too much overhead, a slightly less nice solution would be to
store hashes of peer data on (de)centralised servers.

Cheers,
Matija
--
 /\  Document Freedom Day        - Liberate your documents!
_\/` http://documentfreedom.org/ - 31. March 2010