Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] P2P or server approach?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:39:36 -0400

On 3/24/10 1:06 PM, Sylvan Heuser wrote:
As I see it, we have two approaches between we must decide.

The pure P2P approach:
Pro:
- Everyone has true full control over their data
- No logs on any server that could be used against you
Con:
- Apart from caching (which would generate new problems), when the
machine or connection (This also applies for SheevaPlugs) of a user is
down, the profile of this user will also be inaccessible.

I feel like there are a number of ways around this con. For instance, certain portions of user data could be backed up on the servers of their friends, so that it could be retrieved in the event of some sort of system failure, and so that the user's profile is still available, despite any connection difficulties. Of course, this approach could present a number of privacy and data control problems. It's just one of many solutions, at any rate.
The network of independent servers with small user groups approach:
Pro:
- No cached versions of your data in the net, as it is only stored on
your server
Con:
- You don't have true full control over your data, you need to trust the
owner/operator of your server
- It is nothing really new, just a mild form of centralization.

Please expand and modify this list. If it gets too long/we can't decide,
it may be a candidate for a wiki page (or similar), wouldn't it?

--

Henry L.