Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:47:58 +0000

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 14:06 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> On 03/28/2010 02:03 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:
>
> > I don't see why users have to be able to use commodity hosting. If we
> > make it easy enough, anyone can host their own GNU Social install, p2p
> > style.
>
> Because I don't believe the majority of people will.
>
> What will they host it on? The majority of Facebook users don't have a
> machine they can install their own servers on. Being able to use this
> from anywhere is key for success, and that means browser based.

This doesn't limit the functionality of a core/UI design model. The GNU
Social Core will have to be able to support arbitrary numbers of users
on that local instance. The flagship GNU Social instance (daisycha.in?)
will just run the core daemon + web UI, and people who don't want to
install software on their computers can use that.

I think the vast majority of people will, as you said, not install any
software to use GNU Social. You seem to be basing a very large part of
this system's design on the assumption that there is a class of users
who will want to install their own GNU Social node, and will only do it
on $1 hosting systems. It seems to be just as feasible that those users
will set up personal-computer based nodes.