Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:04:59 -0400

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:29:37 +0200 (CEST), Carlo von Loesch
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Matt Lee typeth:
> | This is also why I think something in a browser would be more
> | understandable by a typical user.
>
> A user also understands a Skype client or a bittorrent plugin.
> Maybe he even understands a Jabber client.
>
> The choice of tools is not limited by mental capacities yet.
> The question is how much are you intending to through encryption,
> thus privacy, out of the window.

We're not.

> | Case in point: I will likely wind up hosting a GNU social setup for at
> | least my immediate family who currently use Facebook. It needs to be
so
> | easy that they can just login and use it, without installing software.
>
> And it doesn't really give them all that much advantage, if all
> private information is still traveling the net unencrypted or
> lying on ISP commodity hard disks ready to be harvested.

Even *if* Social didn't encrypt its own messages, https exists.

Let's get something working before we start worrying about the insoluble
problems like how to prevent an attacker on a server decrypting data that
must be decrypted on the server. ;-)

- Rob.