Re: [Social-discuss] Salmon an interesting protocol

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Salmon an interesting protocol
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:36:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hugo Roy typeth:
| "Salmon aims to define a standard protocol for comments and annotations
| to swim upstream to original update sources -- and spawn more commentary
| in a virtuous cycle.  It's open, decentralized, abuse resistant, and
| user centric."

Yes, http://www.salmon-protocol.org/salmon-protocol-summary

Webhooks that use XML so excessively they have to
base64-encode a message into another to achieve the
simplest things.

At least from what I see <me:data/> in the example
contains the following:

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
  <entry xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom'>
    <id>tag:example.com,2009:cmt-0.44775718</id

Isn't anybody interested in efficient formats anymore?
Here's how the example from that page would look like in PSYC:

:_signature_SHA256      <length-in-bytes> <binary-signature>
=_source        http://aggregator-example.com/~johndoe
:_target        psyc://example.org/@cameltalk#thread22717

_notice_thread_comment
Yes, but what about the llamas?

Timestamp is optional as this is happening in real-time,
so "now" is presumed. The full name of the author is also
optional, in this case I presume it is stored in the state
of the "http://aggregator-example.com/~johndoe"; source.
That means, all people who receive things from johndoe
already know his name is "John Doe" (and whatever else they
are entitled to know).

The keywords used in PSYC can be compacted according to a
to be standardized scheme, that means instead of _source
you simply put "s", _target becomes "t", "_signature_SHA256"
could either be "S_SHA256" (partially compact form) or "S6"
and the method "_notice_thread_comment" would turn into "ntc".

The "=" stands for persistency. It means the next messages
will also be coming from that _source, unless reset.
The _signature would span everything below.

This syntax has evolved in the last 20 years out of RFC822.
In http://about.psyc.eu/Spec:Syntax there is more.

I guess it is obvious this syntax takes a fraction of
bandwidth and computation time. Good for mobile devices.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____