social

Re: [Social] Fwd: Saying hi :) and about git workflow

From: Dan Brickley
Subject: Re: [Social] Fwd: Saying hi :) and about git workflow
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:24:51 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
[..]
> Meanwhile I noticed that we need to follow a proper git workflow to
> not get confused. :D mattl (cc'd) said that he has little experience
> with git. Branches are ultra light-weight (<100 bytes ;) srsly) in
> git, using them pays well. Branches are just labels we give to
> commits, so when someone clones a repository, they get all the commits
> and thus all the branches (I don't know anything about SVN, but it
> feels like a "cathedral"-like system to me :) But I'm really familiar
> with git and use it a lot even for stuff other than version control
> :P). So, I think this is a good workflow to follow:
[snip]

Hey Shashi! :)

I just wanted to say thanks for going to the trouble of writing and
circulating this. Really helpful notes.

The variety of newish version control systems around lately is pretty
confusing; I'm forever typing svn commands in a Git directory, or git
commands in a Mercurial repo, so I really appreciate such a detailed
walkthrough of the Git approach, as well as your thoughts on what will
make for a more social / collaborative approach to coding on this
project.

Thanks!

Dan