Re: [STUMP] Changing keyboard layout... forth and back

From: eugen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Changing keyboard layout... forth and back
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:44:32 +0100

Hi Fabrice,

Looks almost like the French layout has a different mapping for your prefix key than the English layout. Did you try to use xev to figure out whether that's the case?

If it is indeed different, then we probably found the problem and I can think of 2 solutions off the top of my head:

* When switching to French layout, also change your prefix (and change it back when switching to English, of course) to the new mapping of that key.
* Create your own  French X key map, derived from 'fr'.

Cheers
Eugen

P.S. Let me know if it works, I'll setup a multi-language stump pretty soon, too, and might run into the same thing.

Zitat von Fabrice Niessen <address@hidden>:
Hello,

As I often have to switch between English and French when
writing, I'd like my QWERTY (GB) keyboard to follow...

My wish would be to be able to switch back and forth between
French and British keyboard layout using the "Caps Lock" key,
but I did not manage to use its correct code in the kbd function
call (is it "ISO_Next_Group"?).

OK, that's the next step, the first being able to make the
desired switch between the 2 keyboard layouts. Here is what I
wrote in my `.stumpwmrc' file to (try to) do so:

(define-stumpwm-command "set-keyboard-gb" ()
  (run-shell-command "exec setxkbmap gb")
  (define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-i") "set-keyboard-fr"))

(define-stumpwm-command "set-keyboard-fr" ()
  (run-shell-command "exec setxkbmap fr")
  (define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-i") "set-keyboard-gb"))

(run-commands "set-keyboard-gb")

By default, it is well in British English. If I press my
prefix-key ("Super" or "Windows" key) followed by `C-i', I am in
French layout. Good... Except my prefix-key becomes disabled...
I've lost everything. I can't control anything anymore!!  I need
to kill my X server and come back to a new session.

Any solution?

Best regards,
  Fabrice Niessen

address@hidden
Pre-sales, Network and Software Engineer
M i s s i o n   C r i t i c a l   I T
Phone ... +32 2-757.10.15
Fax ..... +32 2-759.27.60