Re: [STUMP] That c-encoding problem again

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: [STUMP] That c-encoding problem again
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:29:06 +0100

"Rohan Nicholls" <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is the error I recieved:
> Error In Command 'exec Eterm': c-string decoding error
>                                           (:external-format :UTF-8):
>                                             the octet sequence 2 cannot be
>                                             decoded.
>
> SBCL: SBCL 1.0.23.39 from darcs with clbuild
> Stumpwm: 0.9.6-git Compiled On Sat Dec 13 16:20:30
> Linux: Linux minime 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC
>        2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> Ubuntu: 8.10 Intrepid with all the latest updates.
>
> I keep thinking that there must be something I can set in locales that
> would solve this problem.  The really annoying thing about this is
> that it is completely inconsistent.  It will start, and stay until I
> mess around in an Eterm or rxvt window and then sometimes it goes
> away, and other times not.  And on my laptop it inevitably comes back
> periodically.  I have not found any pattern to it starting and
> stopping.

There has been some discussion about an UTF-8 bug on the sbcl mailing
list which might be related. Could you try to update your SBCL?

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier to
program in C is that you can't easily express complex problems in C,
so you don't. - Erik Naggum (in comp.lang.lisp)