[STUMP] That c-encoding problem again

From: Rohan Nicholls
Subject: [STUMP] That c-encoding problem again
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:28:40 +0100

Hi all,

I was asking on irc about this problem and gzeus was really helpful
(thanks, man), but it was not an easy answer problem, and then my
system decided to have a crash and I found myself offline.

I have googled the list and everything else I could think of about
this but with now luck, although the problem is not new.

Here is the error I recieved:
Error In Command 'exec Eterm': c-string decoding error
                                          (:external-format :UTF-8):
                                            the octet sequence 2 cannot be
                                            decoded.

SBCL: SBCL 1.0.23.39 from darcs with clbuild
Stumpwm: 0.9.6-git Compiled On Sat Dec 13 16:20:30
Linux: Linux minime 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC
       2008 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu: 8.10 Intrepid with all the latest updates.

I keep thinking that there must be something I can set in locales that
would solve this problem.  The really annoying thing about this is
that it is completely inconsistent.  It will start, and stay until I
mess around in an Eterm or rxvt window and then sometimes it goes
away, and other times not.  And on my laptop it inevitably comes back
periodically.  I have not found any pattern to it starting and
stopping.

Any help, would be much appreciated.  The solutions that have been
proposed in the past have not worked in this case.

Thanks in advance,

Rohan