Re: [STUMP] That c-encoding problem again

From: Rohan Nicholls
Subject: Re: [STUMP] That c-encoding problem again
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:05:45 +0100

Hi Julian,

Seems I have found a solution, more like stumbled on it.  If you set
the LC_ALL and LANG variables before starting sbcl to "UTF-8", it
handles everything properly.

The only problem with this is that a bunch of other things give
warnings when they start up because they cannot find that locale, but
so far (a few days now) I have seen no ill effects in the running
applications themselves.

So for if anyone else finds themselves suffering from the problem in
the future, give this a shot and it should fix it.  Why sbcl chokes on
something as uncomplicated as en.US.UTF-8 which maps to UTF-8, I do
not know, but I would guess that it is not using the system locale
definitions and might be using its own implementation of unicode,
which only recognises UTF-8 and not variations on the theme.

Hope this helps someone, as it has caused me a lot of grief.

Rohan