Re: [STUMP] bug: launching stumpwm automatically under GNOME loses keys

From: Iain Dalton
Subject: Re: [STUMP] bug: launching stumpwm automatically under GNOME loses keys, manually doesn't
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:17:49 -0600

>> * gnome-panel doesn't show up
>
> But it's running? Do you have StumpWM's mode-line enabled? Use the
> "mode-line" command to toggle it on and off. It needs to be off for
> external panels to work.

I imagine it would be running, since I'm starting GNOME.  I'll make
note of these things next time I log in.  Also, when I start StumpWM
manually, "mode-line" toggles gnome-panel; I never get the StumpWM
mode-line.

> Very bizarre, if you have no ~/.stumpwmrc.... Does ~/.xsession-errors
> contain anything useful?

No mention of stumpwm or lisp right now.  Does it create the file anew
every time I log in?  If so, another thing to check next time I log
in, since this time I started stumpwm manually.

> Is there a reason you want to start StumpWM through Gnome? Could you
> just use an ~/.xsession that looks like:
>
> gnome-panel &
> exec stumpwm
>
> ? Then "startx" to start X, though GDM should have an option for
> launching from ~/.xsession as well.

GNOME starts a bunch more services than gnome-panel.  I'd have to hunt
down everything I need to start manually, when it makes more sense to
me to debug in reverse: find out why StumpWM doesn't like GNOME, and
fix it.