Re: [STUMP] group-format-map and window-format-map

From: Matt Spear
Subject: Re: [STUMP] group-format-map and window-format-map
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:12:04 -0700

Sorry for the delay.
Matt Spear
address@hidden

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Ben Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:18:15AM -0700, Matt Spear wrote:
>> That sounds good, I've attached a patch for the window (same logic as
>> yours),
>
> I don't think we actually need to change select-window, since the
> current version doesn't support selecting by number.  Instead the
> select-window-by-number command and :window-number argument type need
> changing.  This is incongruously (and perhaps arbitrarily) different
> to how groups work, but it's how it is currently.

Got it.  Changed window-number type to take the element of the
window-number-map and return the index (this requires no changes to
select-window-by-number).

>> and changed the char I had in group-map-number to elt (same
>> for window).
>
> Pushed this, but not the changes to *window-number-map* and
> *group-number-map*.  I think these can just be nil by default (for
> now), so that no mapping happens.
>

>> I am not 100% sure the windowlist and grouplist string
>> search make perfect sense with this.  Is it wiser to have a similar
>> search algorithm for them (if so it is prolly worth cleaning the
>> select-group and select-window into a macro that they'd use too)?
>
> I don't think windowlist and grouplist need changing.  They search
> based on the menu string, which (depending on your format strings)
> already contains the map number.  So they should just work.

Sure, it was just having groups "aoeu" and having group a be dev then
typing an e would select group a instead of e.  To me this was
counter-intuitive, but it is sensible.