Re: [STUMP] A stumpwm's module

From: Diogo F. S. Ramos
Subject: Re: [STUMP] A stumpwm's module
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:59:37 -0300

Daimrod <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Diogo F. S. Ramos) writes:

>>> stumpwm export list is IMHO stale, and its impossible to extend it
>>> well without using internal symbols, so I see absolutely no problem with
>>> that.
>>
>> Hum, that's unfortunate.
>>
>> I think that a nice set of exported symbols would be nice. Of course,
>> it's much easier said than done.
>
> Maybe we could use the two packages #:stumpwm and #:stuwmpm-user by
> exporting a small set of symbols in #:stumpwm-user required to use and
> configure it and a larger set in #:stumpwm to develop modules with it.
>
> Currently, the #:stuwmpwm-user package doesn't contain any symbols and
> is only used by two modules.
>
> Ofc to minimize the amount of change required we could simply add
> another package like #:stumpwm-dev.

Well, as said earlier, I'm not a maintainer, but I don't see a reason to
divide the symbols in different packages. It might create confusion by
having to decide in which package a symbol should be exported and it's
very likely that a "module" will have to use symbols exported by more
than one package.

I've been making more changes to pavol thanks to the great ideas of
Scott and some bug reports and I didn't had to call stumpwm's internals
more than the `bar' function. Granted, pavol doesn't have even a page of
code, but still.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos