Re: [STUMP] Workspace per screen

From: Aaron France
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Workspace per screen
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 01:25:33 +0200

Any chance you could show me a screencast of this working and more of your config?

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Michael Raskin <address@hidden> wrote:
>I'm looking to replicate a workflow I've become accustomed to in other
>window managers.
>
>In tilers like wingo, xmonad, qtile and a few others it's possible to have
>each screen as a separate group / workspace such that when a screen is
>active and then the group is changed *only that screen is changed* and any
>other connected screens stay on whatever group they were showing at the
>time.
>
>I've heard (https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/issues/104) that this may
>not exactly be possible, however some fine people in the IRC channel that a
>user had worked around this using window tags -- which currently are a bit
>cryptic in their function.
>
>Any pointers or ideas welcome.

Well, I am an author of window-tags moduleā€¦ for what you want you also
need frame-tags, too.

Window tagging is in stumpwm-contrib, and frame tagging together with
most of my config are available online at

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/stumpwm-tagging/

The basic idea is that you can assign an arbitrary set of
case-insensitive tags to each window and to each frame. Frame tags
starting with tg/ specify tagged groups; frames in the same tagged
group can be handled together by special bindings.

There are bindings to alter the set of windows in the current tagged
group of frames (windows are specified by tags).

What is currently missing is automatic saving of frame layouts inside
a tagged group (you can either add the windows as is in the current
layout or wipe the splits inside the tagged group). It is mostly because
I use a small number of split patterns and just define commands that
reproduce them in the current tagged frame group.