Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 15:25:55 +0800

David Bjergaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Are you running setxkbmap in .xinitrc or .stumpwmrc? It may work if you
> put it in .xinitrc before the 'exec stumpwm' line.
>
>     Dave

I set it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us,local_us"
        Option "XkbVariant" ",colemak"
        Option "XkbOptions"
"compose:menu,ctrl:nocaps,lv3:ralt_alt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp:shifts_toggle,altwin:hyper-win"
EndSection

It used to be (~six months ago and earlier) that if I set it like above,
with a toggle, then toggling it would only last until I switched
windows. BUT, if I set it directly with a shell command:

setxkbmap -variant colemak

Then it would 'stick', more or less. When I went to try it again a week
or so ago, I found that even setting it with the above invocation
doesn't work -- it still reverts to qwerty any time I switch windows.

There have been several major updates to Arch's Xorg package recently, I
can only imagine that's where the difference has come from. But really,
who knows.

I just tried editing 00-keyboard.conf so that it set colemak directly,
by taking the grp directive out, and setting layout and variant directly
to local_us and colemak. That didn't work at all: everything started in
qwerty, and stayed in qwerty. I have no idea why.

I suppose I could try installing a desktop environment and using Stump
within that. Otherwise, I don't even know where to start debugging
this...