Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?

From: Mikael Jansson
Subject: Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:10:18 +0200

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Mikael Jansson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Mikael Jansson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     > In Ubuntu I added my custom Swedish xkbd by patching the system
>     > keyboard settings in /usr/share/X11/xkb/{symbols/se,rules/
>     evdev.xml}.
>     > It then works with the standard Xorg keyboard switching
>     utilities. I
>     > use GNOME together with StumpWM but that should not make a
>     > difference.
>
>     Where do you specify the group toggle? My custom us layout and
>     the
>     colemak variant are all under /usr/share/X11/xkb, but Arch tells
>     you to set
>     keyboard options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Where do you set yours?

Hmm, we might be doing different things, then. My alterations to layout
files (equivalent to what you're doing below) all work just fine. It's
switching between variants that doesn't work. By switching I mean having
something like:

setxkbmap -options grp:shifts_toggle

or

Section "InputClass"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shifts_toggle"
EndSection

So that you can shift between layouts on the fly. I'll try switching
my setup to using .xinitrc instead of the X11 conf dir, and see if that
makes any difference.

Oh, I see. I use the GNOME keyboard applet which lets me switch between "Swedish" and "Swedish (Pworak)" - that works without issues. Maybe you could check the source code for the keyboard switcher applet?

- Micke