Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] XKB input in Stumpwm?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:20:07 +0800

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Bjergaard <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Are you running setxkbmap in .xinitrc or .stumpwmrc? It may work if you
>> put it in .xinitrc before the 'exec stumpwm' line.
>>
>>     Dave
>
> I set it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "system-keyboard"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "us,local_us"
>         Option "XkbVariant" ",colemak"
>         Option "XkbOptions"
> "compose:menu,ctrl:nocaps,lv3:ralt_alt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp:shifts_toggle,altwin:hyper-win"
> EndSection
>
> It used to be (~six months ago and earlier) that if I set it like above,
> with a toggle, then toggling it would only last until I switched
> windows. BUT, if I set it directly with a shell command:
>
> setxkbmap -variant colemak
>
> Then it would 'stick', more or less. When I went to try it again a week
> or so ago, I found that even setting it with the above invocation
> doesn't work -- it still reverts to qwerty any time I switch windows.
>
> There have been several major updates to Arch's Xorg package recently, I
> can only imagine that's where the difference has come from. But really,
> who knows.
>
> I just tried editing 00-keyboard.conf so that it set colemak directly,
> by taking the grp directive out, and setting layout and variant directly
> to local_us and colemak. That didn't work at all: everything started in
> qwerty, and stayed in qwerty. I have no idea why.
>
> I suppose I could try installing a desktop environment and using Stump
> within that. Otherwise, I don't even know where to start debugging
> this...

Hours after writing this, Arch pushed out more major Xorg updates -- got
to love this distribution. Anyway, setting colemak via 00-keyboard.conf
now works as it's meant to, but I can't make it "stick" any other way.
It's not switching windows that kills it: the first invocation of the
prefix key resets the XKB variant to qwerty. I'm still inclined to blame
CLX, but am still in the dark.